0
Balancing act

It's been another week full of crap for me, but at least I managed some fun too.

ORA parent meeting
One word to sum it up: Terrible. Oh sure it was going alright until some parent asked some question and coach decided to use me as an example, again...He looked around and asked "Where's Ewan and Wai Choong". Unfortunately, oops maybe fortunately, Ewan was enjoying his sojourn on his cruise while I was stranded at the back row of the LT, feeling terribly hemmed in and claustrophobic. Anyway, coach started off saying that I was a beginner but have been "playing some great hockey" lately, waited for people to clap, and then started denouncing me for having lousy hand-eye coordination, and of course, inevitably, being a toilet bowl. OMFG, how come I can't get rid of this stupid tag my whole life?? I mean WC = water closet, as some people have pointed out over the years... As the everyone in the LT trained their eyes on me, I felt like sinking down and hiding behind Gifford, who was unfortunately not tall enough to aid me in my quest for obscurity.

Actually, such an experience isn't new, since I went through the same thing during the B Division team talk. It's quite funny, Coach always starts off praising me and then realizes how lousy I am and can't help but start pointing negative points about me, so in the end it's actually an expression of disgust...

I ended up feeling bad, so i decided to go for Drama Feste.

Drama Feste (Friday and Saturday)
Drama Feste is an event that shouldn’t be missed, seriously. Having watched last year’s and this year’s plays, I think RI’s plays are comparable to, or even surpass many plays done by professionals (oops might be a biased view).

Here’s a caveat before I comment on the plays: I’m not a lit student so most of the stuff below is probably crap.

Ok so this is what I feel:

Moore’s play was emo, poignant and, to some people, too painful to watch. (How come Micheal so emo, go write a tragedy like that). However, I think the storyline was a bit clichéd and totally devoid of levity (too much emo, cannot tahan), so I didn’t really enjoy it. I was feeling a bit guilty while watching the play though, I won’t say why, but it affected my mood. Even though the storyline wasn’t that original, I think the actors were great, especially Shan Zi, whose make-up and acting make him look convincingly old and haggard. Oh, and his shouting was scary…

Morrison’s play was play about a person who gets cursed by a glass necklace and has to turn three people into stone through his dancing in order to break the curse (erm koped from alvin’s blog, sry). Jing’s dance was excellent, energetic at times, emanating of darkness at other times, I think it complemented the storyline well, but the storyline was a bit absurd at certain parts… I liked it better than Moore’s, but they didn’t win anything in the end, sad…

Bayley’s play was ok, but I still can’t get over the fact that they drew with Hullett. Ok, both were about mental children, but I think Bayley’s play was a bit too silly and frivolous, and at times it seemed to mock retarded children. For eg, some guy stuffed a condom into his retarded little brother, yeah little brother—another slapstick joke, which Bayley passed off as humour. Hullett’s play was also mental children, however, there was more profundity, meaning and sympathy towards those children, especially the title (1 + 1 + 1 = 0) and the conclusion, where the children realized their insignificance and invisibility, which added a note of poignant sadness to the humour in the play, and evoked sympathy for the children from the audience. I think that sort of emo with some levity far surpassed Micheal’s extreme emo… Hullett’s actors were also IMBA, which anyone can infer from the fact that Hullett swept up 5 out of 7 awards. But I’m still a bit rankled that Hullett didn’t win overall best play award outright, but had to tie with Bayley.

Shien Hien and Zachary acted in Buckley’s play. I think both were great, especially Shien Hien with his extravagant gestures. Took a while for me to recognized Zachary, he looked so different… I think Buckley’s had excellent animated individual actors, but I don’t feel that the plot knitted together well.

Anyway the short if it is I felt much better after watching the first three houses’ plays even though I reached home and ate my dinner at 11.


Game against CSC

CSC is seriously crazy. They played as if they hated us to the core and wanted to smash us up. Maybe it’s because Micah accidentally swept some greyhead’s head but I was still pissed off with them. Firstly, someone chopped my hand, then I got hit on the thigh (bruise still there), then some guy slid into my groin, and finally the guy who got hit on the head whacked my foot instead of the ball. And I played out of position as a left half because zaki wasn’t there, and rather unconvincingly too. What a lousy day…

Chinese CCT (Monday)
To summarize it, I failed. I officially betted with wzy that ill get below 40/60. To make the day worse, our C div got eliminated, which makes it two years in a row that we haven’t entered the semi-finals. Once again I felt utterly depressed, so I went to watch the Brazil vs Singapore Selection game.

Soccer game
I think I wasted 15 bucks. Shaun, Royston and I were actually silly enough to queue for food at KFC for more than half an hour, so by the time we got back to the stadium, we were consigned to the seats right at the top of the stadium. I felt like I was playing Football Manager, watching the yellow and red dots moving about on a sits. Actually, FM with sound effects, you could hear Hassan Sunny shouting Baik (is this how u spell it?) to his defenders. Anyway I was quite impressed with Singapore, I think Mohammed Ridhuan totally owned Marcelo, outsprinted, out- dribbled, out-whatever, inside-out. On the other side, Fazrul Nawaz eluded Rafinha too. Go Singapore!! FM should scout Singapore again and revise the player ratings.

English CCT (Thursday)
Fail, again. I hate summaries; I never ever finish writing them. Once again I was short of words. Also failed chem CCT, mixed up all the salts and solubility and whatever, totally flunked a six mark question in the 30-mark paper. Nearly forgot what salts were green and yellow too. Falling into depression once again, I decided to visit Tan Tock Seng Hospital. OMG, the place has totally changed, since the last time I went there, which was about 6 years ago. Everything around novena looks new and metropolitan, even the underpass to Tan Tock Seng Hospital was tiled walls. Actually I went there first so that I could find National Skin Center, gave me a sense of déjà vu, the last time I went there was with Chin Jie, like eons ago, accompanying him to his nitrogen-whatever treatment. And I went there today for consultation on the same problem. Eh, actually that’s only on the surface, I went there so that I could get cheap cream for my sister…

I have one compliment about NSC, they have some really sexy nurses and doctors, well some. After getting out of NSC, something really hilarious happened. I was walking behind an old man, and just before I overtook him, he spat right in front of me and I nearly walked onto the spittle. Could you imagine how flustered that poor old guy was? I smiled at him and walked on…

Friday
I had a bad week, but I finally managed to play soccer. That’s quite something, considering the last time I played was maybe end of May or start of June. So its been 2 + months.

Today
I trashed Gifford 3-0 in fifa. 9-men Suwon Bluewings owned a 11-men LA Galaxy. YES!

What can i say? The last week HAS been a balancing act.

Saturday, August 2, 2008 ; 12:35 PM