National Day and Olympics
This year's national day symbolized hmmmm… DEADLINES, TESTS, ETC for me.
School celebration was quite ok, I think there were only a few original programmes.
Teachers dressing up—actually quite lame and not so original after the CNY’s one, XD’s performance and the Vietnamese’s exchange students’ dance. I thought the Vietnamese were great, being game enough to perform in front of so many people in an unfamiliar setting and the three of them were really well-synchronized. Anyway I think we rarely see beautiful girls around our own age, much less from another culture, put up such an elegant dance, so it was one of the items that more than kept my eyes open.
Next was dressing up teachers, quite lame lah, I think the organizers were banking on the success of the CNY catwalk or something like that, this one was good, but still paled in comparison to the previous teacher catwalk. A big factor in the way it was enthusiastically received by us was probably the popularity, or in some cases, maybe one case, notori***, of the teachers. The event itself wasn’t that interesting.
Then there was the XD performance, that one really cannot sleep through. The lead singer wasn’t that great but the drummer was really animated and looked quite comical at times, so I was captivated by him most of the time.
When the celebrations finally ended, I was in no mood to take a test, and “the great escapade” kept playing in my head when I was taking the physics quiz, literally and metaphorically, so I failed, or barely passed.
After the test, I was supposed to go back to Cat High to visit my former teachers, but I was one of the unlucky few, I mean FEW, who were chosen to submit their files for a the Chinese HOD to check, so I had to keep the rest waiting while I filed and by the time we got to Cat High at around 12, the teachers had already zhao, so I felt quite guilty. We played some soccer with the Cat High guys and somehow failed to win them, I swear our luck turned when Manfred scored the own goal. We were leading by 5-1 and after that own goal by Manfred, who probably decided a hat-trick wasn’t enough, we only managed a measly draw.
Then we went to Jian Wei’s house. OH yeah, before that. I just remembered about Aloy. Here’s what he said at cat high, at least what I recall from memory.
1. “I bet my life that when we take the bus home, some female will sit beside me. Always like that one. I have never seen a man sit beside me before, at least when I’m not sleeping”
2. “Hurdles should be made higher so when girls wear skirts and jump over, can see upskirt.” (of course aloy not really so sick, he said it jokingly)
So anyway, no girl sat beside aloy, as expected, since he stinks like mad after playing sports, as Ernest’s father aptly pointed out (sry aloy).
So played some tennis, whacked only two balls out, not really my fault though, I didn’t use so much strength, its just some people whack the ball straight at me and according to Newton Third’s law, the ball would INEVITABLY fly over the fence. Found out that I could play some really good tennis with aloy, but definitely NOT fifa 07 or 08 or … Sadly, I missed the BBQ my family had with the staff at the company my father works for but even more regretfully, I missed the Chinese Olympics Opening ceremony. Everyone’s talking about it and im clueless, I feel so sad to miss the encapsulation of thousands of years of Chinese culture, especially after spending hours working on my Beijing Olympic project.
Here’s the extract of an msn convo with Ewan:
was it good
('.') ew&n # : we live to last says:
It was ultra nice
how long was it
('.') ew&n # : we live to last says:
Don't know... slept halfway
One thing I know for sure: the NDP live telecast felt very stale to me, esp one day after the revealed grandeur of the Olympics opening ceremony. Plus i felt so gloomy today cos of the stupid rain and the fact that i woke up at 1pm (had to do my chinese project until two plus yesterday).
Haiz, Beijing Olympics, so grand and significant, but so far away. Four years ago, I actually watched most of the events, don’t feel any sense of déjà vu this year though, since most of the events clash with school deadlines, the CCT period, the start of the EPL and especially, most significantly, most dear to me, the COMMUNITY SHIELD.
Go Pompey!!
Saturday, August 9, 2008 ; 8:56 PM